06 February 2011

Lion's Head 2011 - Walk 3

Date: 4 February 2011

Location: Lion's Head

Walkers: Michele & Helen

*** Route plotted here ***

Archive of Lion's Head walks here.

While I waited for Michele to arrive I watched soft misty cloud drift in over Kloof Nek. I was enjoying the cool breeze, and the cloud looked so pretty.




And as we started to climb we saw it drifting in over Signal Hill as well.



It was coming in off the Atlantic, on the westerly wind.




The sun was still warm though, and we got hot walking on the slope above Clifton. And look, as we circled round over Signal Hill again, almost all the cloud had burnt away... just a little wisp left.



Three container ships looked ghostly out to see off Sea Point.



As we continued upwards I spotted a new flower, which is always exciting. I think this orange-flowed plant is a member of the crassula family...



Tylecodon grandiflorus. A grand flower, indeed!



As usual I rubbed my fingers on the bright green confetti bushes while climbing up the rocky steps to reach the plateau. This releases the fragrant oils. Mmm, it's one of my favourite smells.



On the plateau we took a breather, drank some water and ate a couple of apples. We also spotted another new flower (I mean new to me of course). This red fellow is a Tritoniopsis, I think Tritoniopsis triticea.




A sweet LBJ was hopping around the rocks.



We decided to turn round here, and enjoyed much the same views on the way down. This time: more cloud on Signal Hill, and clearing over Camps Bay. Got to love the ever-changing clouds!


.

1 comment:

Firefly the Travel Guy said...

I always love going (virtually) on these walks with you. Your photos are great and you show us "cyber walkers" everything there is to see. At the end of the year we are going to camp in Montagu for a week and then move on to Cape Town for a week at Chapmans Peak Caravan Farm. I really want to try and do one or two of the walks while there. On the list is going up Table Mountain via Platteklip Gorge and perhaps going up Lions Head. We will see.

Thank you for all the comments over the weekend. Its always enjoyable when people can relate to the places I blog about. Makes it even more worth it.