16 June 2011

Kirstenbosch: 'Allo Aloe

Date: 12 June 2011

Location: Kirstenbosch

Walker: Helen

The Kirstenbosch archive is here.

I popped into Kirstenbosch late in the afternoon for a quick look-see. It was a dreary day and the garden was almost empty (I love it like that!).



I walked straight to the rockery. This time of year the brightest things in the garden are the aloes, and they were certainly looking magnificent.





The whorls of buds are so sculpural. They are fun to touch.



And I also like to run my hands along the soft spikes on the edges of the fleshy leaves.




Other succulents were in flower too.



As well as a few other plants.



The purple ribbon bush was looking spectacular.



In many parts of the garden there were newly planted beds. Nothing to see here now, but it is going to be interesting to visit again in a few months and see how these beds look.



I made a point of passing the ginko tree on my way to the top of the garden. I like to visit it regularly, throughout the seasons. It's an old friend.





Many of the plants in the fynbos beds were in flower, especially Leucospermums. Pincushion proteas.



And this one, which I think its Serruria of some kind.



The plants that charmed me most this visit were the reeds and grasses.



The subtle colours and varied textures really appeal to me.






I also like the grey foliage, especially the silver trees.


.

2 comments:

Diana Studer said...

Thanks - haven't been to K'bosch for years. Since we moved to Porterville Cape Town visits are busy busy busy. Must make time to see it again!

Reggie said...

I love those aloes too, Helen. Suuuch dramatic, confident colours - what a contrast against the wintery skies.